Separate and Unequal Extended Comments

This photo was taken from a CBS News article posted in 2014 titled "Seperate and Unequal": Segregation Making Comeback in U.S Schools.
For the article, click here.

For this post, I chose to write extended comments on our classmate Emily Vieira's blog.

        I like the quote that Emily chose from The Problem We All Live With because it speaks to the fact that characteristics like racism and discrimination are learned. The young children in Francis Howell celebrated the transfer students from Normandy School despite what their parents thought which is indeed quite amazing. Older folks tend to be much less open-minded and accepting to changes as opposed to the youth, or in this case, their own children. I think it's also important to note that their was no increase in violence, no decrease in test scores, and overall, the transfer students fared well in their new district. 

        I also like the quote that Emily chose from Seperate and Unequal because it provides statistical evidence to the fact that integration for the lower class community is highly beneficial. Bob Hebert says "The study, released last October, found that “over a period of five to seven years, children in public housing who attended the school district’s most advantaged schools far outperformed in math and reading those children in public housing who attended the district’s least-advantaged public schools.” An important point that I took from this article was that it's not about the race, class, income level, or neighborhood of the students that hinder their success. It's the all around environment of the school, quality of teaching, classroom disruptions, academic engagement of the students as a whole, parent involvement, and so forth.

This issue struck me as highly important because I witness it in my own service learning experience. The school I myself, and I assume most, if not all of the class, works in are not integrated at all.


Comments

  1. I agree with the last few sentences of your blog. The works at my school arent integrated at all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your statement that "it's not about the race, class, income level, or neighborhood of the students that hinder their success." Especially as a future educator we all want the success of each individual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you that it is important to mention how the transfer students didn't increase violence or decrease test scores but instead performed well because sometimes people have this one perspective that it isn't going to work but really that's not the case.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also read Emily's blog post and agree completely with her quotes that she chose. I really like how you further interpreted the first quote by saying racism and discrimination is learned, but all of the students decided to go against their parents beliefs, which show the students are more open minded than the adults. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read Emily's blog and enjoyed her quotes as well. It was nice to read how you talked further about the quotes both you and her had decided to use. It is true that most of the older generation tends to be close minded while their kids remain open minded.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nick, great post. I liked how you brought in the "product of your environment" vibe as the students are transferring schools to escape an inhospitable environment to breed success.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

McIntosh and ALM

Rodriguez Hyperlinks

Kristof Argument